Saturday, August 4, 2012

Another US teen swimming star



Katie Ledecky (Kathleen Genevieve Ledecky) is Team USA’s youngest member, she is just 15 and a high school sophomore. Last night she took the gold in the 800 freestyle event. She is the American record holder and the second fastest time ever. Swimming is in her blood: “Mary Gen Ledecky swam for the University of New Mexico, and her brother Michael, a soon-to-be freshman at Harvard University, also swims for the Curl Burke Swim Club. Her grandfather, who was a WWII veteran, loved the sport so much he helped spur the construction of an indoor swimming pool in his hometown in North Dakota.” Katie lives in Maryland. Her first major competition was the Olympic trials in Nebraska.

I’m glad we are doing so well with our own swimmers, but of course not everyone is. Because of Ledecky’s amazing, rapid improvement has brought in the idea of doping. She says: "I've just progressively set short term goals and long term goals, I just have been dropping time progressively and just going to some big meets and having some good races and I've been able to get down to where I am here." Do we need to do this again? The swimming’s world governing body has backed Ye Schiwen after she passed the drug tests. What is pointing fingers going to do? 


No comments:

Post a Comment