“You and I”
Rain pours, drops race down the window just like her tears. It’s all my fault. The walls seem too far apart, she’s all alone. Why am I such a failure? She clings to her blanket, pulling it closer with each sob. Why won’t anyone come? Her hair is matted with sweat and tears. No one would care if I just curled up and died! The sobs are silenced by the thunder crashing outside. I ruin everything. The harder the rain pounds, the faster the tears come. Why me? Her hands are sweaty and her heart is racing. Why? Her face is swollen, seemingly with all the pain of the world. I did what I thought was right, isn’t that enough? Her eyes are heavy and glossed. This is what I get for helping! She tries to hold onto her breath, it is escaping. I can’t do this. The lighting illuminates her face. Stop. Her expression shifts from sad to angry to determined. They did this to you. Her sweater is sticking to her and her hands are shaking. It is not you; do not let it be you. She turns towards the window. You will not blame yourself. The rain falls steadily, but there is no thunder. Be strong. She pulls herself off the floor. You can do this. She wraps her arm around her stomach and tries to regulate her breathing. You did what you could, that’s all that matters. Her tears began to dry, though the streaks of makeup remained. Don’t pretend you didn’t do your best. She ran the soft fabric of the blanket through her hands. You matter, more than you know. A ray of sun came in through the parted clouds. I know you, you’ll pull through. You always do.

No comments:
Post a Comment