I’ll start this off by saying that my dance performance, despite a few technical difficulties, was great. As was my friends play. Pictures to follow, eventually.
Today I’m going to give you a dancer’s review of the Lifetime TV show, Dance Moms. This opinion is completely my own, I’m not a professional in the area of TV reviews or an expert on the show.
Dance Moms is a “reality” TV show, following young dancers and their mothers who are a part of the prestigious Abby Lee Dance Company. The girls range from ages 7-13 and compete in many different styles of dance. As the company is well known, a lot is expected from these girls. Their mothers are overly dramatic, they are like caricatures of actual “dance moms”. Each week there seems to be a new issue that the moms focus on. While they are not always believable, there is some truth to everything they say.
One criticism the show receives is that Abby, their teacher, is too hard on them. I think that while Abby certainly is strict, she is not downright mean or abusive. Structure and discipline make a good dance. Also, you can bet that everything is dramatized for television.
Another criticism is that the dances they perform, as well as the issues discussed are above the children. The ONLY time I think a dance that they performed was inappropriate was in season 1, “electricity” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDBe-ysdx8). I think that Abby handles issues in a mature classy way (Nip tuck, the “homeless dance”, ect.). I also think that she teaches the dancers to handle and carry themselves in a classy way.
I watch Dance Moms every Tuesday night, and honestly I am sad that the season is coming to an end. It’s fun for a dancer to watch a show about her favorite hobby, without having to take it too seriously. Are there flaws? Yes. Is it realistic? Not always. Do I love it anyway? Absolutely.
Enjoy this video (all dances are from Season 1)
No comments:
Post a Comment