Sunday, March 25, 2012

The College Dilemma


I guess the whole college thing is difficult for all high-school students. I thought that I was lucky to know exactly what I wanted to do. I was convinced that I was going to go for a physical therapy degree; with a concentration in athletic training. I even knew where I wanted to go to college. Boston University. But then, I went on a school trip to Spain. That trip almost single-handedly changed my “plan”. I decided I needed to travel, and I needed to write about it. Well, after talking to some teachers, I decided that it would be a waste of money to get a journalism degree. Either you can write, or you can’t. Not going to college, however, isn’t an option. I started looking into other majors, and came up with nothing.

            I don’t like the idea of not having a stable job after college, but that’s what comes with Travel Journalism. I thought about just writing on the side, but physical therapy just seems less interesting now. Another “path” I’m considering is double majoring in biology and something like International Relations. Looking at BU’s website I think that Behavioral Biology and International Relations would be cool. I could go on to get my Masters in Biology or International Communication. I could also take one as a minor. That way I have the opportunity to do the “Tropical Ecology Program” in Ecuador. Both degrees would offer opportunity to travel.

Finally, I have recently discovered “anthropology”. Anthropology is basically the study of humans. It covers everything from evolution to language to culture. I’m actually really excited about this one. It’s a really big major that I’d never heard about until…now. This one is definitely going on my list!  

 
I guess I just need to keep my options open.
           
-Holly Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment