Wednesday, May 9, 2012
100 Years of Solitude
100 years of Solitude. I had to read this book for an independent reading assignment in my Honors English class. We were given the assignment over April vacation so the old library book traveled with me to Florida. We stayed at Old Key West resort in Disney. The resort was a picturesque backdrop for the book. I enjoyed spending my evenings propped up in a wicker chair on the porch with an outdoor fan buzzing overhead. The characters seemed to come alive as did the beautiful imagery. This book is a "magical realism" book. Many of the things that happen in it could never happen in real life but the elements were as large as life. Many people have said that they did not like the book, and I can understand why. The book is hard, a very intricately woven design. Though I read the book for school, I allowed the slow atmosphere of the south to guide my reading. I didn't read the book like I was going to analyze it or write an essay on it. I took it for what it was and let myself get attached to the characters. I think that sitting in the lazy, tropical heat let my mind wander as I read and I was emotional. I cried when a character died, or was heartbroken; I laughed at their clever tricks. The story came to life in front of me. When I returned home, I still had not finished the book. The rainy days I spent wrapped up in a blanket with my book were fitting, as the entire town of M0000000 was suffering from 4 years of rain storms. I finished the book feeling empty but fulfilled. I was sad that all of the beloved characters were gone, but it all made sense. All good things come to an end, and it was after all a mirage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment